Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013: Planning with the Past in Mind

I'm not usually one for New Year's resolutions. Not that I look down on goal-setting, I just like to maintain the mindset that one should be in a constant state of reflection & revision.

Too often I watch people declare grandiose plans for the new year and then quickly fall short, succumbing to disappointment. Perfectionist that I am, failure does not mix well with me so, up until now, I've avoided most cliche resolutions. (Yes, I can be a bit cynical sometimes.)

This year, I've come up with a way that I can maintain my reflective state while tackling some big goals for 2013. The only non-negotiable is that they must be realistic, attainable goals.

To do this, I'll be looking back on 2012, celebrating the things, the events, the people who brought me joy, confidence & success. Those will fuel the positive changes I hope to make in the coming year.


So, in no particular order...


#1: I ran several local road races this year, one of which was my first half marathon! Huge goal reached there.  In 2013, I plan to maintain one race a month.  A bonus would be if one of those was in another city.

#2: This year, I was promoted from the classroom to administration, and ran into some unexpected miseries during the transition. 
In 2013, I hope to find where I truly belong in schools...leading adults or leading students again. I have a lot of soul-searching to do on this matter...all I want is to wake up every day confident and excited about what I do. 

#3: I've become more and more adventurous in the kitchen.
In 2013, I'll continue this trend by educating myself on the science of flavors & including fresh ingredients--many of which I can grow at home on my balconies.
Maybe I'll take a cooking class! 

I'll run out and purchase this handy reference for the kitchen

At this time I only grow basil, but in 2013, I'd like to start a simple herb garden like this one.  I also know it's pretty easy to grow tomatoes, so I'll tackle that as well. Finally, living in the south, citrus trees are commonly grown at home, so why not? Limes would be a perfect compliment to the many fish and Mexican dishes we make. 

#4: At age 32, I finally got to visit NYC. 
In 2013 I'd like to visit another city I've never been to. 

 #5: Tourist in my own town.  I'm lucky enough to live in an amazing city that most people travel to for a sight-seeing escape from every day life.  My own daily life has kept me too busy to venture out and see all that NOLA has to offer. My husband and I won't be here much longer, so in 2013, I will find some new hot spots in the Big Easy. 
 In addition to the obvious & popular places in the city, I'll be searching for some hidden jewels in my neighborhood.  


For inspiration on where to begin, I'll refer to a Christmas gift 
my parents got me.

#6: Meggie and I started a blog together this year.  
We're having so much fun connecting in this new way and have plans to make each new post of 2013 better than the last.  I plan to spend more time improving my writing craft by simply spending more time writing. And with all of the exciting things happening this year (ahem...like Meg's wedding), we should have plenty to write about. 


Happy New Year!







No comments:

Post a Comment