Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Microwaveable Mexican Fiesta!



Chips and I have a love/hate relationship. Period. I LOVE eating them but HATE that I love eating them SO MUCH. It’s a sickness, it really is. Especially since it’s a joke in our home that I can’t have a bag of lime chips in the cupboard without those little guys being the only thing I reach for until they are gone. This = Problem.

My love for chips is what has driven me to give them up for lent every year. This year marks the 4th year in a row I’ll be giving up chips between Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. NOTE: I’m not Catholic, but one of my friends (who is also not Catholic) and I have been giving things up since we were 8 years old… just because... so the tradition lives on. I like giving up chips (and shopping) because it teaches me self control. For the months following Lent I find myself able to have one serving of my beloved chips (Lime Tostidos and any kind of Doritos are the worst offenders) and then stop. The cravings then proceed to creep back up to normal as the months go on, which is why this is an annual “sacrifice” on my part. 

To the point of my whole rant, Lent begins in a little over a month, so I’m taking advantage of my chip consumption ability NOW! It’s no secret that I’m not a whiz in the kitchen (every blog post about food is something that Max created, not me). This is something I’m working on, and even though Max does NOT consider the microwave to be an appropriate tool for a real cook, it’s what I trust J With that being said, I thought I would share my most recent obsession to “cook” in the microwave that completely satisfies my chip craving and my love for Mexican food in general. 


{Steamfresh southwestern style corn and southwestern style rice}

These are my favorite frozen dishes to pick up (BONUS: they are often on sale!). I put them in the microwave for 4-5 minutes each, mix them together and voila… instant Mexican Fiesta. But, we’re not done yet folks! Since taco seasoning (I prefer GFS private label Trade East brand) and Ortega Taco Sauce are a staple in the Stites-Maxey home, I thought I would toy around with this idea and include them into my Mexican concoction (add to taste).



It can be eaten cold or heated up. With or without chips, it’s a winner in my book!
If you want a little extra somethin’ somethin’ add in some black beans. This not only provides protein but awesome texture.


So, there you have it. Again, nothing fancy, but this definitely gets my taste buds excited. It’s full of flavor and captures everything I look for in a snack (chips and Ortega). This, to me, is the ultimate comfort food!

P.S. Defrost some shrimp (or any kind of fish or meat) and marinate in some light taco seasoning for a fun addition to this concoction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment