Tuesday, November 20, 2012

She's All Grown Up

Before Jackson, my only "babies" were my plants. 
Of my MANY plants inside our home & on our balconies, 
the one dearest to me is the aloe.  

  
[Jackson standing guard to the precious succulents.] 

I connected with my husband's oldest friend when we discovered our shared love for urban gardening. We both have green thumbs and could talk for hours about the different varieties we collect & how to maintain them-- we even share clippings with each other while we still lived in Chicago.  

My husband & I lived literally across the street from him in the South Loop, so we hung out with he and his fiance often, comparing plant notes. 

[A view from the balcony of our Chicago condo.]

Our first winter down here in NOLA (2007), said friend gave me a very small aloe plant...said he just couldn't do much with it. He happily handed it over and said that the warm, tropical climate might be just what the 
[plant] doctor ordered.     


Since then, that particular plant has grown so fast and so strong and become SO BIG, I've transplanted it 3 times into bigger pots. 

I've also taken the babies (new growth) from the "mama" plant & started a second pot full of aloe...and then before I knew it, had to transplant those.  They were out of control. 

I've even payed it forward and gifted some of the mama's grand-aloes! 

     
[Mother & daughter BEASTS, separate for the last time.]

Today, as I enjoyed the summer-like weather, and emerged myself in some urban gardening,  I gathered the biggest & strongest pieces, 
preparing them for a move to yet another, much larger,  pot. 

                        
This is the biggest of all transplanted pieces.  
The fleshy leaves are bursting with aloe, which makes the plant very heavy.
This came from the original given to me 5 1/2 years ago. 

[Perfectly tight, organized root system...but definitely ready 
for some  room to stretch.]

[I sorted out the best parts for their new home.] 

Next, I mixed & stirred & massaged the old soil, then added in some new cactus (special draining variety) soil, & prepared for the big move.  
This was a long and messy process. 


I will use these (youngest) babies as gifts to other people, as well as bargaining chips for more gardening advice at my local nursery

                                     

 So strong and beautiful.  She stands nearly 4 feet tall and about 3 feet wide. 

She was my first child...and now she's all grown up.


No comments:

Post a Comment