Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Home, Simple Home

My husband and I share a home that reflects very clean (me), contemporary (him), simple (us) taste.  All of our furniture (minus one bookshelf & one side table) were purchased at once, from the same  "series" at Crate & Barrel.  Other than our Ork posters & Jackson's toys, the place is extremely minimal in both color and clutter.  This makes the home much easier to maintain and moving from city to city that much easier.
What I am most proud of is that everything in our home serves a purpose.  Not one item is unnecessary...


Okay, fine. I take that back. My husband would argue that the cube vases full of river rocks (shown above on an armoir  in our living room...and on bookshelves...and my nightstand) are not needed.  But they're from the center pieces at our wedding!  I say they're there for sentiment. Sentiment is needed in a marital home.


Anyway.  When you come into our apartment, you immediately face a steep, L-shaped staircase. When you reach the top, you can turn left for our bedroom/bathroom or right for the rest of the place. 

Let's turn right first. This is our living room. As you can see, it's an open floor plan, so the living room & kitchen share a space.  We love this because, I can cook and talk to hubby as he's surfing the web on the couch without yelling from room to room.  Our Chicago condo, while bigger, had a similar layout.  


Monkey get's a sizable corner next to the couch and near the "sunny" balcony. We have two balconies, one covered and one not. (Those will be shown in a later post about urban gardening.) Jackson's "room" contains the rug where he does his morning stretches, lounges and plays with the millions of toys we buy him. What you see here is probably a tenth of the amount of toys this puppy owns. S-P-O-I-L-E-D.

If you're standing in Monkey's room, you'll see the apartment from this angle. You see the bookshelf & NOLA poster (shown in a previous post) 
and part of my office area. 
Behind my desk is a set of French doors leading out to the covered balcony. 
I spend a lot of time out there...it's my outdoor reading spot. 

Facing the other direction (with the desk and French doors behind you) is this angle. It's part of our bookshelf and the walkway leading to our bedroom. 


You can also pivot ("pivot!!") a bit and see Jackson's play area 
(note the ridiculously giant gorilla...) 
and the door leading to the uncovered balcony. 

This is a shot of the apartment standing in front of the 
door to the second balcony.  

What you see above here  is a view of my office in the evening. This is where I can be found most weeknights if I'm not in the kitchen or out on a run. 

From the living room you can see the kitchen...small but functional. 


Beautiful appliances. Can't complain. 

Our bedroom is more plain colors and clean lines. 

The (only) bathroom in the apartment is accessed through our bedroom. Inconvenient when we have guests, but otherwise, a lovely setup. 












No comments:

Post a Comment