Monday, November 5, 2012

Hearty Butternut Squash Soup

Growing up I was never big on butternut squash. Ok, to be honest, I never tried it, but the thought of it didn't sound appealing in any way, shape or form.

Enter Max.

I thought college broadened my scope of food, but in the years we have been together, I have to come to like things that I HATED as a child (tuna, mushrooms and asparagus to name a few...). But I must say, my FAVORITE thing he has turned me onto is butternut squash. I can't say that I have tried it any other way than in the form of soup, but I am willing to eat it anyway it's put in front of me if it has half of the flavor this does!

As mentioned in this post, we spent Sunday sipping cocktails, watching football and enjoying each others company, but most of all making this delicious soup that is sure to warm you from the inside out. Especially as the weather drops below freezing (which it did this morning!).

P.S. Max suggests a Bloody Mary while cooking this up; I second his suggestion.

Here's what you need:
- 2 medium size butternut squash (or 1 large if you're lucky enough to have access to a farmers market or a friend's garden)
- 1 1/2 onions
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- Your favorite vegetable base
- 1.5 cups of thinly chopped carrots
- 2 knobs of gingerroot
- Thyme (or sage, whichever you prefer)
- Salt, Pepper and garlic powder
- Olive oil and butter

Directions:
1. Peel and cube the butternut squash (1/2 inch to an inch in size); spread evenly on 12x18 inch pan
2. Spread evenly pepper, salt and garlic powder over cubes; then pour olive oil over top until evenly coated. Toss with your hands to mix.
3. Chop up 1 onion in fifths and add to the pan.
4. Roast butternut squash on 400 degrees in the oven for 1 hour (or until tender). Stir occasionally.
5. Once roasted, remove from the oven and put in a large soup pot. Finely chop the onion before adding.
6. Pour water in soup pot until vegetables are covered along with 2 tbsp of the vegetable base, thyme (or sage), 1 knob of butter, and 1 1/2 cup thinly chopped carrots
7. Progressively smash contents of the soup pot as the contents cook down (our kitchen is not big enough for a blender, but if you have one USE IT)
8. Add in additional pepper, salt and garlic to taste.
9. Shave off the outer layer of the gingerroot, mince it and add 2 knobs
10. Stir and mash until consistency is smooth to your liking
11. Add in the red pepper and yellow pepper (leaving a bit for garnish.
12. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy! (I prefer with a glass of champagne)



CLINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment