Monday, October 22, 2012

Funky Buddha + Grand Rapids Local Artists = ZEN

Driving to yoga is my least favorite part of the day. I haul ass through rush hour traffic just to make sure I get there in time for a parking spot where I don’t have to cross an insanely busy road... with no crosswalk. BUT, because the benefits are physically, mentally and spiritually invigorating, I gladly deal with it. Not to mention, the weather is finally getting cold enough to actually CRAVE walking into a 95+ degree room. A craving that will continue to grow as the temperatures continue to drop throughout the seasons.
The Funky BuddhaYoga Hothouse offers various classes, ranging from beginner to advanced, slow and methodical movements to fast-paced power classes. One of my favorite classes is called “Shake Your Asana”, which combines Power Vinyasa and music. Unfortunately, these class times don’t always work with my schedule, but I love attending them whenever I have the chance, mostly because I love practicing to music. It’s a form of relaxation I can’t get anywhere else. Most often I find that I already know or have heard of the artists they play, but I love when there is a new discovery. Since they so generously post the playlists on their Facebook page weekly, I rush home to download the unknown gems. Recently, I attended a class where the playlist was a tribute to local artists. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Week Full of Mondays – Josh Rose
2. Half a Mind – Josh Rose
3. La Ti Da – The Icicles
4. I, Love, You – Ralston Bowles
5. Holland – Sufjan Stevens

(an amazing 90-minute candle light yoga practice that I can't wait to experience)

(namaste)

No comments:

Post a Comment