Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday Motivators!

[Hungry, anyone?]

This Monday, new perspectives on food are deliciously motivating me--and distracting me--from the other, more stressful things that will fill the days ahead.

There's a local tradition here in New Orleans where families eat Red Beans and Rice for dinner on Mondays.
I've never done it before, mainly because we don't keep those items as staples around the house, but also because the meal itself, though delicious, sounds so heavy.

Now that my half-marathon training is in full swing (logged 8 miles yesterday!), I need to consider a smart way to get that necessary carb:protein ratio into my body after such taxing workouts.

Still not too keen on stocking white rice in the house, I thought I'd put my own spin on the NOLA favorite.


[There's always room--and a need--for veggies!]



[It needs something...]

[Fresh basil from the balcony herb garden!]



[ ORANGE ZEST: a citrus kick to offset the hot cayenne pepper]


[Jackson's drool was on overdrive as the earthy smells filled the apartment...I also think he may have been trying to remind me to do my post-run stretch before starting a huge project in the kitchen]

There are many variations on the traditional recipe, so I plan on experimenting as the weeks approaching my race roll by. Other sources of protein such as chicken, shrimp, sausage and tuna will take starring roles, I'm sure. I'd also like to not just grow herbs, but vegetables as well in my garden, so hopefully some of those will soon join the party on my plate!

[My husband prefers RB&R dishes heavy on the spicy sausage.]

In the meantime, I've got enough of this first batch to keep me going until my long run next weekend of 8.5 miles.

Happy Monday, everyone and bon appetit!!






No comments:

Post a Comment