Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Corn Salad/Salsa


There are only so many days in a row you can eat the same salad made the same way with the same veggies and the same (amazing Marie’s caesar) dressing. 

So, one day this summer, when I was visiting my husband’s family in Chicago, I was clicking through the colorful options on All Recipes, when I  stumbled upon this beautiful corn salad.

But, great as it looked, I had to tweak it.   

Here’s why: There’s this fabulous Mexican restaurant chain down here in New Orleans called Juan’s Flying Burrito (great margaritas, better food) and my favorite thing on their menu is the fish tacos—strictly because they add their amazing homemade mango salsa.  I may not have mangos, but I've got creativity and a huge appetite, so I decided to make my own version of Juan's fresh brilliance . 

The corn salad (or salsa depending on the meal has ingredients so fresh they make you feel like you’re Peter Rabbit, invading Mr. MgGregor's garden.  Also, it’s REALLY SPICY.  Like so spicy that your nose is running by the time you swallow. 

Here’s what you'll need: 
3-4 ears of corn, depending on the size
~3 tbsp butter
1-2 limes
large bunch fresh cilantro
1-2 jalepeno peppers (depending on how much your mouth can take—I dare you to use the seeds)
grape or plum tomatoes
3/4 cup fresh pineapple, diced (canned pineapple works as well if you’re in a pinch)
salt and pepper 


Confession: I did use canned pineapple this time...but I highly recommend using fresh whenever possible. 

Here’s what you'll do: 
1. Remove the silks from the corn, and then put pull the leaves back up around the cobb.  Microwave for 3-4 minutes (about a minute per ear).
2. Using a knife, scrape the cooked corn into a bowl and mix in melted butter. 
3. Stir in chopped cilantro, tomatoes, and pineapple.  
4. Add lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. 
5.  Enjoy this dish cold in any form desired.


Very corn-y


This time I chose to make the dish as a side salad to my ahi tuna steak...so to balance the flavors, I soaked the fish in lime juice, pepper, and fire salt (it's just never spicy enough for me) before cooking it on a frying pan. 


Since then, I’ve made it 3 times and loved it more with each attempt.  I’ve dipped hot blue tortilla chips in it, served it alongside ahi tuna steaks (above), and scooped generous portions of it into grilled corn tortillas on taco night. 

This dish is easy, healthy, not too expensive...and when you eat it, you get hot and cool at the same time...and, come on, just look at the COLORS!


No comments:

Post a Comment