Saturday, September 22, 2012

Mapping our Journey

Ever since I was little, I've had the tendancy to romanticize everything...life just seems so much nicer through that lens, right? So, when my husband bought me two posters for our new condo in Chicago (my lifelong dream: to live in downtown Chicago!), I went straight to the romantic interpretation  of the gift.   (However, I'm pretty sure that he just picked them because he likes blue and the artwork is contemporary.)

The simplicity of these two pieces fits both our clean decor and our attempt to compromise in decorating tastes.   In the past 5--almost 6, wow--years together, we've come to a style that is now ours, and are often complimented on how well we put a home together. 

Back to my point: the two posters my husband presented me with were from Ork Posters, which offers grid map style prints of various big cities around the world. Hubbie chose Great Lakes and Chicago...I saw them as a tour de us...

(Where we met, worked together and fell in love...)

(Where we were, at the time, moving into a fantastic condo...
and where we were to be married...)

And so it's no surprise, that once I'd discovered these prints, I'd go searching for the missing piece in our journey together: New Orleans!  It's in the mail as we speak.  Once it arrives, we'll have it framed of course, and it will join the other two on the walls of our home. 

(This is where we first moved to, established ourselves as a couple, and have now returned to advance our careers...it's where we lived when we got engaged, where we made a few of our now closest friends, and where Monkey first lived.)


As much as I love this artwork, I hope with all my heart that I don't need to purchase another print.  My dream now is to return to Chicago for good.  We'll find a cozy 2 (or 3) bedroom in the South Loop, find jobs we can settle in to and set up camp for a long while. Our journey together will move and change,  but hopefully our address will not. 

--Courtney












No comments:

Post a Comment