Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Brunch + Beads + Books + Buttons


Would you ever guess that this post is about running? When you live in a city like New Orleans, you never know what you’re going to pass on a jog about town.  This is more of a tour of what I see when I lace up and head out during the week. 

I open my wrought iron gate, leave my house, and immediately pass a Starbucks (right across the street!).  The smell of strong, black coffee…sigh…is there anything more intoxicating…
Our condo is in a magnificent southern house, split into 5 units
BRUNCH: Then, about 1/4 mile down my street, there’s Commander's Palace, a WIDELY known restaurant, saturated with very old-money (aka: super fancy & expensive).  CP hosted the finale of Top Chef back in 2007 (maybe 2008).  It is—supposedly—a favorite restaurant of many celebrities who live here in NOLA.  It is also constantly holding up traffic on Sunday afternoons, due to the valet attendants parking cars more expensive than our combined student loans, just so their owners can enjoy a famous brunch. 

Trotting on…

Once I’m unleashed onto St. Charles, it’s nothing but miles of winding street car tracks to lead me.

This is what I typically see on an evening run after work, 
just as the sun begins to set.  So relaxing.  Resets my day and my state of mind.  This is when I start the good songs. 
Two reasons I run on the “neutra-ground” (some might call it a boulevard):
1. The dirt/grass covering is much better for my knees. 
2. The views are spectacular!

BEADS:  New Orleans never really has a chance to forget about Mardi Gras because no matter what time of year it is, there are beads caught on  the trees along the parade routes.  Strong storms can't even untangle them. 
If you look closely, you'll see several beads on this tree...Mardi Gras was back in February!
BOOKS:  As I’m approaching mile marker 2.5, I pass my library.  I can’t figure out if it’s my love of the smell of old books or the beauty of the architecture that lures me to this branch…but here it is!  
Latter Branch NO Public Library
BUTTONS:  Great movie.  Attractive lead male role…he even has a house here, yet I’ve still never, EVER seen him…
For the late person, I’m referring to Brad Pitt and his hit movie, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
This house is very near my own. It also happens to neighbor Commander’s Palace, and makes an appearance at the end of my 4.5 mile loop around the Garden District. 

Bonus note about the story of Benjamin Button: I like to listen to audio books on my long runs, & recently picked this one….originally a short story, written by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  It's quite different from the movie...doesn't even take place in New Orleans!!! 

Sometimes I take my long runs to the park...but that's another day. 

Courtney







No comments:

Post a Comment