Saturday, September 15, 2012

Happy Hour


Where to go with my girlfriends on a Friday after work for a crisp, cool, de-stressing refreshment in a town where drinking trumps most everything else?

Oh, where to begin…

Considering its condensed size, New Orleans has a wide array of options for happy hour. My teacher friends and I try to find spots centrally located between our schools, sprinkled in different parts around town. Margaritas at Juan's is often a favorite choice, or if it's beer we're craving, the only place to go in my opinion is The Bulldog.  They have a location down the street from our condo where a pitcher of Blue Moon and a dunkel cheeseburger are ingredients for a perfect night (especially during football season).


But wine is my drink of choice most of the time so, last week, my friends and I chose a place that specializes in wine…lots and lots of wine. It’s called Swirl, located in a charming corner of Mid City.

The owners recommend a bottle based off of your preferences, and voila! Bottoms up!

Once you pop the cork and watch the alarmingly fast rate at which the bottle drains, there is atmosphere, cheese and loafs of French bread to enjoy...just a few of my favorite things. The pino grigio above was delicious (insert sophisticated wine words here).  A welcome, but pricy, treat from my regular $6 bottle of Yellow Tail.  Another place similar to Swirl is W.I.N.O. (Wine Institute New Orleans). I plan to take Meg there next time she's down here.

This city has more to offer than I will probably ever get a chance to fully explore.  Mainly because my husband and I are creatures of habit and often end up at the same places.

Sometimes it's best to mix up something at home and take it on the road because, well, in New Orleans you can!  It's not uncommon for people to take a picnic to one of the local parks or Mississippi River bank for an outdoor rendezvous.  Happy hour can be whatever (and where ever) you make it!

Meggie and I at Audubon Park having mimosas one Sunday afternoon. 
So, now, I raise a class to my baby sister, all the way up in Michigan...may your happy hours never be without spirit!  Love you, miss you, wish you were here...Clink!

Courtney





No comments:

Post a Comment