Saturday, September 8, 2012

Court



Court

I’m the big sister. The older sister.  Though, depending on the setting, spectators often disagree.  I haven’t quite figured out why this is, but perhaps it’s the teacher in me that brings out certain childish behaviors (and, more often, comments)…but overall, I am the more mature one…more wisdomous, if you will. I am, at the core, an old soul.
Gorgeous sidewalk in NOLA
I currently live in New Orleans.  After leaving our hometown at age 27, my husband and I have ping-ponged back and forth between here and Chicago.  This is 100% dictated by our career.  We’re both teachers turned school administrators who are always trying to move up. We plan to return to Chicago for good in a few years…I have much to share about both cities…each one holds a very special, specific and different part of my heart. We have been married for 2 years. No kids, except for our 3½ year-old English bulldog, Jackson (aka Monkey)…here he is as a baby in our first NOLA apartment.


Many of my interests & hobbies are pretty predictable for a 32 year-old woman:

  • Love love love reading.  Most genres.  When work keeps me from reading “real” books, audio versions keep me company on the morning commute.
  • Could not possibly narrow down my music interests, but a few artists that I adore, and that set me far apart from Meggie, are: Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, and Dave Brubeck. Our late grandmother is to thank (miss you, grandma!).  She shaped much of who I am today. 
I’m a runner.  Have been for 5 years now. I run a 5K or 10K once a month. Running is one of my absolute favorite past times. In a few weeks, I begin training for my first half marathon. So excited. So nervous. Big day is December 16th. I think Meggie will be in Mexico with the family that day, while I’m sweating my ass off, legs turning to noodles. I am trying to work in some yoga from time to time—baby sister is a great and much needed coach.  I’m strong, but not so bendy.  

Cooking & baking. I have not yet reached the talent level of Meg’s boyfriend, but I have been known to whip up some great dishes. I love playing with food and making normal stuff look and taste better.  I am in no way, shape or form a vegetarian.  I love all meats, but mostly cook fish and chicken.  The baking is a hobby shared with my husband, actually. When we’re having a tough work day/week, we will most likely make a batch of oatmeal cookies or banana oatmeal muffins.  We’ve got it down to a science now. 

Like my sister, I am a super-CRAZY organizer.  It really is an illness. Kitchen. Bathroom. Bedroom. Office. Files on the computer. Everything has its place & position. Period. (Inherited from our dad). And when I find a way to make that place a more organized & cleverly functional one, I’ll go back and fix it.  There should be more people like us out there. 

The first 5 years of my life I begged my parents for a little sister (not unlike kids who ask for a new bike or toy) and I’ll never, ever forget the day my parents told me a new baby was coming…I truly thought they made her for me.  Having a sister has been everything I wanted it to be ever since then.  She was my doll that I bossed around & dressed & fed when we were little, and she’s my best friend now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment