Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Wall 10K

I almost didn't run this race. 

It was Saturday morning at 7:30. 
It had been a long week of work and I just wasn't feeling it.



But then I reminded myself how much I love races and, having this workout behind me for the day,  I'd have all afternoon to do as I wished-- namely: attend some parades.

So I awkwardly  pinned my race number on, mentally coaching myself ...and trying to wake up.

    
Laced and re-laced my shoes minutes before the race started
(I usually do this about 3 times...it's a nervous habit).



And before I knew it, I was crossing the finish line, feeling fantastic.

I ALWAYS feel better after a run.

 I wore my hair in a ponytail for Meggie (she's been teasing me about my piggies) and tried to smile rather than making the awkward face I usually do when sprinting over the chip readers.
(see the awful example below)


 This pic is from The Wall 10K last year.

To read my thoughts in this moment would reveal that I was terrified that I would trip over that blue line.

Check out that time, though (PR!). 
Ugh...horrific face. 

This year, I ran the race 3 minutes slower (seems to be a trend this year) and yet somehow ended up placing 4th among all female finishers. Not that many racers at this years race, I suspect, because now we're smack dab in the middle of the best Mardi Gras parades.  In other words, not too many people are in any shape to get up at 6:00 in the morning and run 6 miles...but Courtney did!! 

Next race: Heart & Sole 5K, March 2, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment