Friday, June 20, 2014

Parliament the Boutique



One day, while perusing Have Company, I was talking to the owner who told me about another local boutique just down the street called Parliament the Boutique, who was known for their homemade leather good, and really friendly cat. Umm… local boutique with, most likely overpriced, homemade gifts, jewelry, purses, shoes and other gifts… and a cat to boot?! I was there in a Grand Rapids minute. 

I walked into the store on a day when there happened to be a walking tour of the area with students from a local arts college. It’s not a large shop, so I had no choice but to stand around and listen, but it was very educational. The store opened a few years ago in an effort to draw more “wholesome” crowds to the area that is historically known for its homeless population and drug deal occurrences. What’s now a classy brick and mortar boutique used to be a not-so-safe pawn shop (think Hardcore Pawn).

I must say, the area is really coming around! I would never have guessed that it was “known” for that type of activity. I love it! I can’t wait to go back and visit Amadeus the Cat (aka a descendant of Hobbes)!!









No comments:

Post a Comment