Monday, February 16, 2015

Monday Motivators: Lundi Gras!


Happy Lundi Gras!


Tomorrow is the big day. The last day. For the past two weeks, NOLA has been accumulating energy, creativity, comradery and debauchery...but after tomorrow's Fat Tuesday parades, it comes to a screetching halt.

Today, the people of New Orleans are hitting the streets to soak up as much of this month-long party as possible because today is Lundi Gras...or Fat Monday (why not, right?).

Over the past 8 years, my husband and I have developed our own traditions and preferences when it come to how and what we participate in during Carnival season. I think I like parades a bit more than he does, but when the weather, mood and crowd is just right, he's all in.

It's got to be said that the Whole Life Challenge hasn't made it easy on us this year because taking advantage of the open container law couldn't be more fun than during Mardi Gras. Well, the "no alcohol" rule of the game has sliced that privilege off at the knees. Lucky for me, I've saved up some indulgence ponits along the way, and couldn't have picked a better time to spend them. It may not be full-on inebriation but, at my age, that's probably not a bad thing.

I've managed to make it to a few parades so far this year and, if the weather behaves, I'll catch the last few tomorrow.

 [My buddy, Kim, doesn't hold back when it comes to beggin for good throws]

I've made some parades part of my runs--interesting to have beads thrown at you while you're also in motion.  I always bump into someone I know, so take advantage of a few minutes to rest and yell at a few floats.

[My baby girl throwing a tantrum during costume try-on session.]

[You're looking into the eyes of Darth Vader]

 
I've marched in one--with Apple--only the costume aspect of it didn't exactly go as planned. It was warm out and covering my already hyper English Bulldog in all black didn't seem like the responsible parenting move. 

[Unfortunately for me, Darth decided to stay home, 
but Leila tried to make an appearance.]

[We had our fun. And we saw so many people we knew along the route. Guess that's what counts.]



This past weekend, my husband and I biked Uptown to one of my favorite parades, Tucks.


I just can't help myself: this krewe is all toilets and rolls of toilet paper and plungers...it's rediculously beatufiful...and right up my alley.


Can't believe Carnival 2015 has already come...and is almost gone. Tomorrow, the St. Anne parade will roll right by our house, here in the Bywater, and then we'll say goodbye until 2016. Maybe one of these years we'll get some more Michigan folks to witness the magic!




1 comment:

  1. I definitely want to "witness the magic" some year! Maybe next year :) So glad you had a great time. I wish I could have seen more of Darth, but safety first for those pups :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete