Friday, June 26, 2015

Playing with Food: Pink Crunch Salad


If you admit from the start that you're just "playing with food", and that you don't claim to be a great chef, you open the proverbial playing field right up. You can also call your recipes whatever you want. 

I'm naming this salad Pink Crunch because those are the only parts that need to remain uniform. Any ingredients that bear a pink hue and make noise when you eat them will do. I promise you that the next time I make Pink Crunch, there will be different items in the bowl. But they will be pink and there will be crunch. 

This is a nice snack for after a workout because it's got a nice sugar/fat balance, it's super refreshing and, most importantly, it's got those restorative vitamins and minerals our bodies need after hard work. 

What you'll need...
  • 1-2 roma tomatoes
  • 1 English cucumber
  • 1-2 cups cubed (preferably seedless) watermelon
  • 1 handful lemon balm or mint leaves
  • black pepper to taste
  • Juice of 2 limes or lemons
  • 1 handful unsalted peanuts (TIP: pistachios would be a great alternative here...and the light green would be lovely treat to the eye)




I made this pretty little snack recently after an 18-mile bike ride in 90 degree heat. I was able to make it in the same amount of time it would take you to listen to this short, but amazing, playlist from The Civil Wars:

1. Disarm


Eat well, eat fresh, and have fun doing it, y'all! 



1 comment:

  1. Nice! I would never have thought of putting peanuts into a salad with watermelon. But then again, I would have never paired watermelon and tomatoes in a salad until you introduced it to me a couple of years ago. I shall try this.. Thanks, sis!! P.S. Poison & Wine is still the winner in my book :)

    ReplyDelete